Scholarships for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing
Scholarships for Deaf or Hard of Hearing
These are scholarships in which you MUST be deaf or hard of hearing to qualify. They often have other requirements, such as GPA or majors.
Sertoma’s Scholarship for the Hard of Hearing or Deaf
- Award Amount: $1000
- Application Deadline: March 31, 2023
- Description: This scholarship is meant for students with bilateral hearing loss. Students must have a minimum 40dB bilateral hearing loss, as evidenced on audiogram by an SRT & PTA of 40dB or greater in both ears, be a citizen of the United States of America, be pursuing a bachelor’s degree on a full-time basis at a college or university in the United States
Help America Hear Scholarship (for Hearing Aid or Cochlear Implant Users)
- Amount Awarded: $2,000 + New ReSound Hearing Aids (Cochlear-wearing applicants just receive the $2000)
- Application Deadline: April 2, 2023
- Description: For high school seniors going to college. Money and new ReSound hearing aids (money only if the applicant is a Cochlear Implant user)
Traveler’s Protective Association (TPA)
- Amount Awarded: Varies
- Application Deadline: Completed applications must be returned to the Trust by the end of each quarter: March 31st, June 30th, September 30th, and December 31st.
- Description: The TPA Scholarship is a need-based program designed to support children and adults with hearing impairments. It is open to individuals of all ages and student statuses who have a hearing impairment.
- To apply: https://www.tpahq.org/tpa-hearing-trust/apply/
Louise Tumarkin Zazove Foundation Scholarship
- Amount Awarded: varies
- Application Deadline: May 27, 2023
- Description: The LTZ Foundation has proudly supported over 40 d/Deaf and hard of hearing student grantees at colleges across the country. Applicants must be U.S. citizens or permanent residents, have significant bilateral hearing loss, and be undergraduate students attending an accredited non-profit college or university in the U.S.
- To apply: https://www.ltzfoundation.org/copy-of-scholarship
Nicholas J. Deleonardis Scholarship
- Amount Awarded: $6000
- Application Deadline: June 15, 2023
- Description: This program provides $6000 for full-time undergraduate/graduate students. Through the program, recipients will propose and complete a research project on non-invasive technology for deaf/hearing communication. Must be an undergraduate/graduate student, permanent US residency, minimum GPA of 3.0.
- To apply: https://aslproject.com/UGaward/index.htm
Nancy J. Bloch Leadership & Advocacy Scholarship/Internship
- Internship with accompanying stipend.
- Amount Awarded: $3000-6000 stipend
- Application Deadline: March 1, 2023
- Description: Qualified applicants will spend the summer working with NAD lawyers and actively participate in advocacy efforts to protect the civil, human and linguistic rights of the American deaf community. Preference will be given to students pursuing careers in law, public policy, nonprofit management or related fields. This scholarship provides a nominal financial stipend to qualified applicants. Determination of the stipend amount for each qualified applicant is based on the length of the internship and the Application Criteria below. For example, a qualified applicant studying in law school (Juris Doctor degree) who commits to the entire length of the summer internship may be eligible for the full $6,000 stipend. Up to two qualified applicants studying for their Bachelor’s degree may receive stipends of up to $3,000 each.
The Alexander Graham Bell Association for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing (AG Bell) Scholarships
- Award Amount: varies
- Application Deadline: closed for 2023-2024. Other financial aid available.
- Check site. https://www.agbell.org/Connect#financial-aid
General Disability Scholarships
Hearing loss counts as a disability, so you cname=an apply for any of these in addition to the Deaf or Hard of Hearing specific scholarships.
Wells Fargo Scholarship Program for People with Disabilities
- Amount Awarded: The program will award up to $2,500 renewable scholarships for full-time students and up to $1,250 renewable scholarships for half-time students.
- Application Deadline: Opening January 2023. Only the first 700 applications will be accepted.
- Description: The Wells Fargo Scholarship Program for People with Disabilities is designed to help students pursue the education or training they need to succeed in their chosen career path. Applicants must be high school seniors or graduates or current undergraduates planning to enroll, or who are already enrolled, in full- or half-time undergraduate study at an accredited United States two- or four-year college or university for the upcoming academic year.
- To Apply: https://learnmore.scholarsapply.org/pwdscholarship/
Microsoft Disability Scholarship
- Amount Awarded: $5,000
- Application Deadline: Check the website throughout January
- Description: This scholarship will be awarded to promising high school seniors with disabilities who plan to attend a vocational or academic college and target a career in the technology industry. The scholarships are renewable – each winner who continues to meet the criteria is eligible to receive an annual award of $5,000 for up to four (4) consecutive years for a potential total $20,000 scholarship.
- To apply: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/diversity/programs/microsoftdisabilityscholarship.aspx
Stephen L. Squires SWSIS Scholarship
- Amount Awarded: $5,000 to $10,000
- Application Deadline: Feb 1, 2023
- Description: This award is for women pursuing undergraduate or graduate degrees in cybersecurity. Successful candidates must have overcome adversity, such as a learning disability, bullying, or discrimination. The award amount varies from $5,000 to $10,000. You must be a U.S. citizen to be eligible.
- To apply: https://cra.org/cra-wp/scholarships-and-awards/scholarships/swsis
American Association on Health and Disability Scholarship Program
- Amount Awarded: $1000
- Application Deadline: March 1, 2023
- Description: The American Association on Health and Disabilities awards $1000 to undergraduate/graduate students (at least a sophomore) with a disability pursuing studies related to the health and disability, such as, public health, health promotion, disability studies, disability research, rehabilitation engineering, audiology, disability policy, and special education.
- To apply: http://aahd.us/initiatives/scholarship-program/
Spring 2023 National Scholarship Competition for College Students with Disabilities
- Amount Awarded: $2,000
- Application Deadline: March 15, 2023
- Description: Any student with a disability enrolled in a 2 or 4-year accredited college or university in the US.
- To apply: https://www.disabledperson.com/scholarships/35
Google Lime Scholarship for Computer Science Students with Disabilities
- Amount Awarded: $10,000
- Application Deadline: Not Stated (Check their Website! It will be up in January)
- Description: Recipients of the 2022 Google Lime Scholarship will each receive a scholarship for the 2022-2023 academic year. Scholars will also be invited to attend a Google Lime Scholars gathering in Summer 2022 and be considered for internship opportunities with Google for the Summer of 2022. Scholarships will be awarded based on the strength of candidates’ academic background and a demonstrated passion for computer science – $10,000 for those studying in the US and $5,000 for those studying in Canada (based on tuition costs).
- To apply: https://buildyourfuture.withgoogle.com/scholarships/google-lime-scholarship
- Also, for the Lime Pathways (High School to College) Scholarship for High School Seniors with Disabilities: https://www.limeconnect.com/programs/page/lime-connect-pathways-scholarship-for-high-school-seniors
Vitality Medical Scholarship
- Amount Awarded: Varies.
- Application Deadline: September 15, 2023
- Description: Vitality Medical’s Student Disability Scholarship program is designed to encourage and support outstanding students who work hard and want to make a significant impact on their school and community. Must be enrolled as a senior in high school or in undergrad and GPA 3.0 or higher; at least 16 years of age.
- To apply: https://www.vitalitymedical.com/scholarships-from-vitality-medical/disability-scholarship-program